about the company
Our client is one of the leading global reinsurance companies providing its clients with a board range of innovative solutions and services and a solid financial base. The company has been serving its customers for 45 years and has maintained a continuous presence in the market by upholding a strong technical culture supported by company’s best-in-class financial strength rating.
Currently, our client is looking for a Construction Underwrite – APAC to be based in Singapore and be part of the regional construction team. Under the authority of Hong Kong based APAC Head of Construction, and Europe based Global Head of Construction, you will underwrite construction business in APAC. This role will be stationed in Hong Kong for first 18-24 months as part of the training programme.
The ideal candidate should process at least 7 years to 8 years of working experience in the heavy civil construction field such as MRT projects and Airport projects. Underwriting experience is good to have but not mandatory for this role as our client will provide training for the underwriting part.
about the job
- Underwrite, build and maintain a profitable construction portfolio in accordance with the Specialty Insurance (SI) underwriting guidelines
- Market the SI capabilities and products to Corporate Risk Managers, Brokers and Ceding companies in APAC.
- Research latest risk management practices, loss lessons learnt, and analyse the portfolio results and market data, leading to produce various marketing and business intelligence documents
- Report regularly on accounts and marketing activity
- Proactively manage prospective construction opportunities in the target segments by early engagement with distribution channels
- Generate new offers and promote the Group by pro-active marketing in accordance with the defined strategy and risk appetite.
- Receive, select and evaluate offers of Construction business from various sources by independently analysing all information including risk engineering reports, calculate ratings, negotiate conditions of the contracts.
- Contribute to the technical knowledge of sectors in which the jobholder is working.
- To cultivate relationships with clients, brokers and cedents for business development purposes and explore new business potential through these sources
- Execute growth strategies including Key account management, and Cross Sell Initiatives. Support other company lines by cross selling (Casualty, Alternative Solutions, …).
- Maintain an accurate database of risks accepted in various IT systems used by SI, e.g. Forewriter, Omega II, UP, SalesForce.
- Contribute to the claims settlement in conjunction with the claims department
- Positively interact with various internal stakeholders within the company
skills & experience required
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering
- At least 7 years of working experience in construction industry, preferably with experience working in heavy civil construction site
- Open to be based at Hong Kong for the first 18-24 months as part of training program
- Prior experience in construction insurance/reinsurance market is a plus but not necessary
- Team player: active engagement and contribution to the team
- An enquiring mindset with the ability to work independently as a motivated and pro-active self-starter
- A clear understanding of the value and role of leadership together with an active approach to risk management
- Self-disciplined, principled and decisive decision making
- Organised and able to prioritise under pressure
- Ability to evaluate, condense and summarise key information
- Confidence to develop and maintain a network of brokers and clients
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and confident to represent the company at conferences, meetings or professional associations
- Prepared to travel extensively
If you are interested in the position, kindly send your CV to wenyu.jiang (@) randstad.com.sg.
Please include your availability, expected salary and reason for leaving current job.
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
(EA: 94C3609 / Reg: R1332558)...