looking for talent solutions?find out more
In a constantly evolving labour climate, employers need to keep up with updates and new ministry guidelines to remain in line with industry regulations. Our updated Workpocket 2019/2020 Supplement includes new changes to the Employment Act (EA) in Singapore which took effect from 01 April 2019, guidelines on wrongful dismissals and other important manpower amendments.
With Professionals, Managers, Executives and Technicians (PMETs) already forming more than half of the Singaporean workforce, the core provisions are now extended to include managers and executives. The review of the EA has been called ‘timely’ by Manpower Minister Josephine Teo, as the percentage of PMETs in the local workforce will rise from 56% today to approximately 66% by 2030.
It is thus important for employers to review and update their HR practices, employee handbooks, and employment agreements and contracts to reflect the new workplace dynamics and ensure a fair and compliant working environment.
main changes to the employment act covered in the supplement
- The Employment Act now covers all employees: the salary cap is removed and managers and executives earning S$4,500 and over are now covered under the Act.
- The Employment Claims Tribunal now hears all wrongful dismissal and salary-related claims, subject to claim limits. The minimum qualifying employment period is reduced to six months.
- Employers must now recognise medical certificates from any registered doctor or dentist.
- Employers can make salary deductions with written consent from the employee, who can withdraw their consent at any time.
Is your business new to Singapore? Get the full scoop on our local manpower policies and keep up with the HR trends with the Workpocket 2019/2020.
other topics of interest covered in the workpocket 2019/2020 supplement:
- Proposed changes to the Work Injury Compensation Act
- Special feature on how to future-proof your business
- Retirement and re-employment age to rise – CPF contribution to increase
- Useful contacts and sources of further information